“I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God’s holy Word.” – Book of Common Prayer P. 265
We are called to repent – to turn toward God – and what better way than to sow the seeds of love through service (to God and each other), oneness (with Christ) and welcome (to neighbor and stranger). Feel free to contact The Rev. John A. Mennell at firstname.lastname@example.org to plan your journey this season.
Sow the seeds of love in self-examination
- Worship each Sunday – In confession, we ask God’s forgiveness for things done and left undone
- Lent Madness – examine the loving lives of saints who gone before us in this playful competition
- Stations of the Cross – pray the stations set up in the church for this season and contemplate what Christ’s journey means to you and how you can be changed through knowing Jesus’s journey.
- Wednesday Individual Meditation in the Church (9:00am-6:00pm) – use the beauty and quiet of our worship space to sit, relax and just be in the presence of God’s love.
Sow the seeds of love in repentance
- Wednesday Evening Worship at 7:00pm – turn to God in the middle of the week in worship
- “Living Well Through Lent” booklets – practice courage with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind.
- Episcopal Relief and Development Lenten Devotional – turn to God through daily reflections
Sow the seeds of love in Prayer
- Pray the Parish – offer daily prayers for members of our faith community as a way to offer love to them and to God for this great cloud of witnesses.
- Pray on Behalf our Nation – follow the invitation from Presiding Bishop Curry to turn and pray on behalf our nation with fasting, and repentance leading to action at reclaimingjesus.org
- Wednesday Mystics – join us in the church on Wednesdays at 6:00pm to reflect on the life of some mystics who have gone before us and join in contemplative prayer and discussion.
- Morning Prayer – pray the daily office – together on Saturdays at 10:00am in the church and on your own throughout the week (bcponline.org or missionstclare.com)
Sow the seeds of love in fasting & self-denial
- Fast for a Day – consider donating what you would have spent on food to Toni’s Kitchen to support and love those who face food insecurity in our community.
- Give up something – deny yourself of something you may take for granted and give thanks to God each time you remember how much you love God’s blessings
Sow the seeds of love in reading and meditating on God’s Holy Word
- Read All Four Gospels – Read the Bible daily and reflect on God’s love poured out for you Follow this plan and you will read all four Gospels in Lent.
- Sunday Morning Bible Study – join the group led by Tom Laws at 9:00am in the Atrium.
For devotional booklets and other materials, explore our website or the back of the church.