“I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God’s holy Word.” – Book of Common Prayer P. 265
We are called to repent – to turn back toward God – and what better way than to live love. Rather than giving something up, you are encouraged to take something on that directs your focus toward God in a new and life giving way. Feel free to contact The Rev. John Mennell (email@example.com) to plan your journey this season.
Live Love in self-examination
- Worship each Sunday – the service begins with confession where we ask God’s forgiveness for things done and left undone. Start there, and follow the Spirit.
- Lent Madness – examine the lives of the saints who have gone before us in this playful “competition” to see where our lives can be more saintly filled with love.
- Into the Desert with Jesus – the Sunday Adult Forums Sponsored by Interweave and led by the Rev. Peter Savastano will reflect on Jesus through the lens of others
- Wednesday Individual Meditation in the Church (9a-7p) – use the beauty and quiet of our worship space to sit, relax and just be in the presence of God’s love.
Live Love in repentance
- Sunday Gratitude Evening Prayer at 5:00 p.m. – turn to God with thanksgiving each week as we focus our thanks in different areas of our lives.
- Wednesday Evening Worship at 7:00 p.m. – turn to God in the middle of the week as we reflect on the saint of the day and share communion
- Episcopal Relief and Development Lenten Devotional – turn to God in the daily reflections offered in the booklet available in the church
Live Love in Prayer
- Pray the Parish – offer daily prayers for members of our faith community as a way to offer love to them and to God for this great cloud of witnesses.
- 40 Days of Grace Family Devotional – practice the love of God around the dinner table as you give thanks each day for the food and people that blesses your life.
- Morning Prayer – pray the daily office – together on Saturdays at 10:00am and on your own throughout the week (use BCP or at http://www.missionstclare.com)
Live Love in fasting & self-denial
- Fast for a Day – consider donating what you would have spent on food to Toni’s Kitchen to support and love those who face food insecurity in our community.
- Give up something – deny yourself of something you may take for granted and give thanks to God each time you remember how much you love God’s blessings
Live Love in reading and meditating on God’s Holy Word
- Social Justice Bible Challenge – follow daily Bible readings and reflections on where the Bible calls us to action in loving those in need in our world.
- Individual Bible Reading Plan – Plan to read parts of the Bible daily and reflect on God’s love poured out for you.
- Sunday Morning Bible Study – join the reflection group led by Tom Laws at 9:00am Sundays to delve more deeply into the scripture that defines our lives.
Maundy Thursday– March 29 – Service at 7:00 p.m.
Good Friday – March 30 – Services at 7:00 a.m., Noon and 7:00 p.m.
Easter Vigil – Saturday March 31 – Service at 7:00 p.m.